Monday 22 March 2010

Wrexham: 2 - 2 U's & expungement appeal



Confession time: When I was younger, I used to name Aston Villa as my second team.

I've seen the error of my ways as I've grown older, but when I was at school it seemed acceptable to have a Premiership team with whom to allign myself for the sake of easy playground banter.

I'm not sure why I chose Villa, possibly because like United they never win anything, or because of the funny name/unusual kit. Either way, the 12-year old me used to get quite happy on the rare occasion Savo Milosevic found the net.

Because of my Villa daliance, I was a big fan of Dean Saunders the player. It's a shame then that Saunders the manager is a buffoon of Lewer-esque proportions. Have a listen to this interview carried out following our 2-2 draw on Saturday, he sounds more bitter than a box of lemons.

Anyway, it sounds like it was another good comeback from the U's, and a great equaliser from young Marriott, which you can see above courtesy of youtube fottage king MatBro51. I also notice we've taken the momentous step of overtaking the "biggest club in Cambridge" in the league table, so at least this season hasn't been a complete waste of time.

Speaking of wasting time, United announced on Friday that they are one of ten clubs appealing the decision to expunge Chester from the record books, a move which has led to much righteous indignation amongst users of the CUFC messageboard.

If those within the club feel that strongly about it then it's worth a try I suppose. But seeing as the six points will make little difference to our situation either way I personally don't see the point in us joining in with Oxford, Stevenage, et al in making a fuss. I also don't like our chances of success, as surely the FA will be very reluctant to make a ruling in favour of changing the table for a third time this season.

One thing I do hope is that we're not paying for this appeal in any way. At a time when the fans are trying to find to cash to buy the ground back, I would hate to think the club are wasting their cash on an appeal which is surely doomed to failure.

*To submit your 20-word match reports on the Wrexham match, email
cufcblog@googlemail.com, visit the U's Blog twitter page, or leave a comment under this post.

4 comments:

Me and the Palmer, get on fine,  22 March 2010 at 16:20  

Point, another point, but
It felt so much better when
That lovely Marriott fired in.
Those are the best moments.

Anonymous,  22 March 2010 at 18:56  

I had to make a comment although, well maybe there is some relevancy.

"When I was 12..."

Cambridge didn't have a football league team back in 1966!!! My dad used to take my bro and I to the Abbey and we used to stand on the open Allotments end. Once or twice we even went to Milton Road and I have to admit I was amazed at the size of the place.
Then England won the World Cup and there was general euphoria at school. Just about everyone had a "big club" to support, as United were, well, where they are now I suppose, and when I found out who supported whom I wanted a club all to myself and that is why I have been a proud fan of Manchester City Football Club for nearly 44 years!! Even though I became a die-hard United fan, if they were away somewhere I would go to London, Ipswich, Norwich etc. to watch the Blues. Like United, I'll will never get City out of my blood. Just ask David Gray @ United. He'll tell you the same!!
Being a City fan there has definitely been more ups than downs. Don't mention when we last won something!!
But at least I can sing the old chant:
"Oh, Man City, the ONLY football team to come from Manchester!!!

Are there any others who follow a second team?

Cheers, Michael.

P.S. When I am six foot under there will be both a CUFC and an MCFC scarf accompanying me!!

Matthew Gooding 23 March 2010 at 20:30  

Ahh, but would happen if MCFC played CUFC? Who would you back then?

Fair play to you though, I think if I tried to split myself between two teams I'd become a manic depressive!

Anonymous,  24 March 2010 at 12:56  

Matt,
That happened! 0-0 at the Abbey. I stood in the Habbin wearing both scarves. Probably one my proudest football moments. Seeing both my teams on the same pitch.
The reverse fixture. Ehmmmm...
Whisper it... 5-0 at Maine Road!!
To City that is.
We stood on the wonderful old Kippax in the "away bit." I wore a light blue tee shirt and jigged about a little when City scored.
City fans asked me what I was doing! So I gave them a quick resume. They were a bit surprised but it went okay. Thankfully!!

Michael.

Now what are the odds of United playing City at the moment?
Probably only in a pre-season kickabout. But even that would be good enough for me now though.

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP