Wednesday 18 June 2008

Waffle

I suspect that, if they haven’t done so already, our directors will have perfected the art of saying something without saying anything by Friday.

So far we’ve had Phil Law on potential new managers: “There's certainly not a clear favourite at the moment, although there have been one or two interesting ones,” and Brian Attmore on Jimmy Quinn: “We'll be forever grateful for what Jimmy has done. He has put a pride and belief back into the club on the pitch, and that's a tremendous achievement.” With another two CEN deadlines to go before Jimmy spills the beans on Friday, I suspect there is more inane waffle to come, watch this space.

Having said that, I imagine that the beans being spilled by our former manager will not be entirely truthful beans, if that’s not taking the whole bean scenario too far. In fact, I’ll stick my neck on the line and predict he’ll trot one or more of the following false excuses:

“I’d taken the team as far as I can.”

“My heart wasn’t in the job anymore.”

“We’ve lost a lot of players and I felt now was a good time to move on.”

“Since my son was born my priorities have changed and I want to spend more time with my family.”

Meanwhile the, ahem, race to replace the Quinnster is gathering pace. One hopes that, much like in a horse race, the early front runners will fall away and/or be shot*. If Carlton Palmer or Glenn Cockrill were given the managers job, it would be a dark day indeed for Cambridge United.

*This is a joke. I do not endorse the shooting of incompetent football managers, although I'd probably make an exception for Steve Thompson.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP