Friday 20 June 2008

AOB: Never write off the Germans...

We’re thirteen days in, and this is my first post on Euro 2008. Don't take that as an indication that I haven’t been watching or enjoying the tournament – in fact I’d go so far as to say it’s the most entertaining international competition for some time.

Now that France are out I’m not really fussed about who wins, nor do I feel I can offer a considered opinion on who’s going to be the next champions seeing as I tipped both Holland and Spain, two of the most impressive performers so far, to flop. Neither team seem able to defend particularly well, but this doesn’t appear to be holding them back, and their potential semi-final match up should be an intriguing contest.

England’s absence has of course made the Euros a more enjoyable business. No WAG’s, no white van men waving union jacks, and no having to pretend to like odorous individuals like Terry, Ferdinand, and Neville. Nevertheless, it hasn’t stopped our media indulging in the usual stereotypes and cliches – Czech’s have been bouncing, the Swiss have rolled, and if I hear Clive Tydersley utter “never write off the Germans” once more I might explode. Has anyone ever written off the Germans? Ever? Grrr.

Speaking of Tydersley, he and his colleagues were at their unbearable worst during last nights Portugal love in, sorry I mean Portugal - Germany match; “Portugal, surely one of the best attacking teams in the world, are out” averred the commentator, after Scolari’s side had, as usual, passed the ball across the pitch about a million times without doing anything constructive like, er, having an effort on goal. I’d have thought “one of the best attacking sides in the world” could muster more than two shots on target in 45 minutes of football.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP