Wednesday 4 June 2008

U's player in not leaving shock

Hurrah, so Frodo Baggins ((c)Danny Brown) isn't joining Stevenage. Yet. I'm always a bit wary when clubs make their rejection of transfer offers public - it's usually a thinly veiled "bid a bit more and he's yours" message.


But in this instance I'm going to choose to believe that the club wanted to show the fans that we don't have to sell absolutely everybody currently on our books in order to avoid SHOCK FINANCIAL MELTDOWN. Especially coupled with George Roll's bold statement that "no more players leaving the Trade Recruitment Stadium this summer unless it's ridiculous money that we get offered for somebody."

Statements like that have a habit of coming back to bite you in the ass, and I'm not totally convinced we won't see Boylan scuttling down the A1 faster than Ben Farrell trying to avoid a speed camera. But I can hardly have a go at the board for not saying anything and then not believe them when they do say something, so fair play to the boy Rolls.

Personally I hope Boylan stays. I've said on here a few times that I feel he and Beesley are potentially a great pairing (as we saw during the first half of the Torquay game) and with our squad looking skinnier than a post-op Fern Britton at present, it wouldn't seem sensible to get shot of another player of his proven quality. But then again, when has football ever been sensible?

2 comments:

Anonymous,  5 June 2008 at 06:26  

I think I'd have been less bothered about Boylan going than Wolly and Albrighton.

Boylan reminds me of Chilli. He'll score if the team are playing half decent and he gets a nice clear cut chance... but he can't create things himself too well.

In this respect, I think Magno is the better player... but then his end product isn't a patch on Boylan.

If we are to do well next season I think Beesley is the man to do it. Didn't get long enough to really stamp his mark on the squad, but something inside me says he's the dogs bollocks.

(P.S... Dear Lee, I don't really mean you're as bad as Chilli, but it was a quick comparison. Forgive me! xxxx)

Matthew Gooding 5 June 2008 at 18:21  

Haha, I wouldn't wish a comparison with Chilli on my worst enemy! FWIW I think Boylan has a lot more about him - his movement off the ball is excellent and he's very good in the air for his size.

But he is predominantly a box player, so if he's going to stay we'll need to play to his strengths a bit more. 4-4-2 with Wilmott, and a new attacking left winger, providing the amunition will see him do the business I reckon.

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP