Friday 14 December 2007

AOB: U's Blog Festive 19

If 'best of' lists didn't exist, how would the music press fill their pages in December? Inevitably they are full of albums I don't own/haven't heard of/don't like, but I still end up reading them anyway. The Observer Music Monthly list is a good recent example. I have two of their top 50 although I'll hopefully get a couple more for Christmas.

So, seeing as it's December and I have blog space to fill, I've decided to bring you the imaginatively titled U's Blog Festive 19, a list of all the new albums I've aquired this year, of which there are 19.

Most of my new CD's I get free from work, which as you will see from this list, can be both a blessing and a curse. The top ten will follow soon.


19: The Enemy – We’ll live and die in these Towns
Clichéd, unimaginative, indie-crap at its worst. The Enemy’s attempts to pull off grimy, council estate rock are far too polished to sound authentic. I’m sure Kaiser Chiefs fans will love it though.

18: James Blunt – All the Lost Souls
Far be it from me to call one of the biggest selling artists of the 21st century a whiny, middle-class, one trick pony, but there is nothing on ATLS that doesn’t sound like a Back to Bedlam b-side.

17: The Coral – Roots and Echoes
The Coral’s attempt at doing the Beach Boys is a bit of a mish-mash. There are a few good songs but most of the others are instantly forgettable.

16: KT Tunstall – Drastic Fantastic
Tunstall’s sound has changed drastically (hoho) since her debut album, Eye to the Telescope. Is it fantastic? Not really.

15: Chemical Brothers – We are the Night
The Brothers aren’t usually my cup of tea, but this is a surprisingly decent record. Listening to the Salmon Dance is a bizarre yet enjoyable experience.

14: Mika – Life in a Cartoon World
Full-on feel good pop from 07’s answer to the Scissor Sisters. Good for when you want to get in touch with your, ahem, feminine side.

13: Brett Anderson – Brett Anderson
Who doesn’t like Suede? People with no taste that’s who. Unfortunately Brett’s solo debut is a bit too depressing for me, although there are some good songs, notably Loving is Dead.

12: GoodBooks – Control
GoodBooks are a bit of a pretentious bunch, and seem to want to use their album to comment on every right-on cause going. It’s not a bad slice of indie-pop though, despite some slightly suspect lyrics.

11: Stars – In our Bedrooms after the War
Only just got this, and if I’d listened to it a bit more I suspect it would be higher in the list. My Favourite Book, in particular, has made a good early impression.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP