Tuesday 9 June 2009

*Insert Reason pun of choice here*

Where did this term "marquee signing" come from?

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems to have been creeping into football vocabulary more and more in the last few months; Real Madrid have got one, Chelsea want one, and Man City are promising Mark Hughes he'll get one, although given their recent transfer policy they'll probably bid for a few but end up buying Kevin Davies instead.

Somehow I doubt anyone who has signed for Cambridge United has ever been afforded marquee status, but Jai Reason must qualify as a small tent. Or at least an awning.

"I thought he got better and better with every game [of his loan spell], and I think he's got more to offer as well," said the Brabinator on his signing. The latter part is certainly true, although I'm not sure about the former. I felt Jai's form dipped a little prior to the end of the season, although he was one of our better players in both games against Stevenage and the play-off final. It's normal for a young players form to fluctuate a bit, so I'm sure he'll prove to be a decent acquisition, and should be able to provide the goals from midfield we missed last term following Wolleaston's departure.

The less said about our new kit the better though. "We're pleased with this innovative new design," said Chairman George, when unveiling the River Plate-esque number our players will be sporting next year. Personally I wouldn't put our new jersey alongside the Adidas Predator or the Cameroon sleeveless shirt in the innovation stakes, but there we go. As long as the finished design is hewn of a darker yellow material than the prototype, I'm sure I'll learn to love it. Maybe.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  10 June 2009 at 09:48  

* Reason to be cheerful, one, two, three!!!

80)

Keeno 24 June 2009 at 19:31  

Hi, Bournemouth fan here.
I've just been reading through a few posts on your very enjoyable blog and I noticed that you mentioned that you didn't like your new kit.
Funnily enough, I have just written a short piece about some of the good and bad kits unveiled over the summer, and I came to the conclusion that the Cambridge one was the best I'd seen.
Check it out here:
http://standingwithkeeno.blogspot.com/
Is there a consensus among your fans that it's a bad kit?
Good luck for your promotion push this year. I was hoping you would make it through the play-offs last year, as I quite fancy an away day in Cambridge.

Cheers

Keeno

PS. I managed to get the whole way through this message without moaning about Jimmy Quinn. Hurrah!!

Matthew Gooding 25 June 2009 at 13:00  

Hi Keeno,

Thanks for your post. I'm not sure if there's a consensus really, it seems to have polarised opinion, with a lot of people loving it and as many hating it if you use our messageboard as a barometer. Like I said, I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I don't buy replica shirts anyway as a rule so my opinion is particularly relevant!

Hope you guys have a good season too - am sure it will be all the more enjoyable now you're free of points deductions and JQ's particular brand of "football" ;).

Nice blog by the way!

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP