Thursday 4 September 2008

Quinn in

Anyone who has read/seen the second Harry Potter book/film may remember the character of Gilderoy Lockhart, played in the movie by Kenneth Branagh. There’s a great scene where Harry goes into his office and sees that the walls are covered with thousands of pictures of Gilderoy himself carrying out heroic deeds.

For some reason I can just imagine Jimmy Quinn decorating his office in a similar fashion. Upon his arrival in Bournemouth this week, our former manager demonstrated that a summer of unemployment has done little to dent his ample self-esteem:

"I was leading goalscorer [for the Cherries in 91/92] if anybody can remember that far back," he told the BBC, while arranging his Northern Ireland international caps in a glass case and unpacking his stock of brown envelopes.

“I've got a reputation for going into clubs when they've been struggling and although this is going to be a tough job, I'm confident I can do my bit and keep them in League Two. The past three jobs I've taken on, the clubs have been rock bottom and I've got them back,” he added in the Bournemouth Echo, failing to mention that none of his last three clubs were on -15 points when he took the reigns.

I wish the best of luck to Quinn, who did a good job last year regardless of the manner in which he left. There’s no doubt he’s a decent manager when he has time and money to put together a team, but we shouldn’t forget that, when asked to work with an inherited squad in 06/07, he only just kept us up by the skin of his teeth. And unless Bournemouth have a Robbie Simpson-alike waiting in the wings I suspect JQ may be plying his trade in the Conference again in the near future.

Hopefully United won’t be there to see it, and we picked up another good point at Ebbsfleet on Tuesday. I wasn’t there, and won’t be at the Wrexham game this weekend as I’m going to a wedding. Who gets married during the football season anyway? I should’ve asked them to reschedule…

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP