Tuesday 2 October 2007

FGR:3 U's:1 - The Joy of Text

If, like me, you can’t bare a U’s game to be going on without you knowing the score, being out of Radio Cambridgeshire range can present several problems.

When this situation occurs I usually favour keeping up to date with what’s happening via WAP, but this is fraught with difficulty, mainly because the scores are always slow to update. I remember one occasion a couple of years ago when I enjoyed a night out safe in the knowledge that we’d secured a point by drawing 0-0 at Halifax, only to pick up the paper the next day and discover we’d lost 1-0.

So this weekend, with a trip to Canterbury on the horizon, I decided to sign up to the official site’s text alert service. I’d actually thoroughly recommend this as a method of following matches, and in future I may even eschew the delights of mssrs. Johnson and Line in favour of updates by phone.

Why I hear you ask? Well, to start with I hate listening to football on the radio. When listening to a commentary my imagination turns every passage of play which the opposition have into a dangerous goalscoring opportunity. The crowd always pre-empts the commentator too which only adds to my state of constant panic. Plus there is the utter inanity of Johnson and Line (which I will go into in more detail another time) which just ends up making me cross, even if we are strolling a comfortable victory.

On Saturday I was able to enjoy my afternoon, with only the odd moment of disappointment when the messages came through announcing Stuart Fleetwood’s ever increasing goal tally. Thus United’s first defeat of the season passed me by a bit without ruining the entire weekend (which probably would have been the case had I been sitting at home listening to every moment of excruciating crapness).

So yeah, anyway, we lost. I think the signs were there in the Aldershot match that a lot of the players are knackered, so not having a Tuesday game this week is probably a good thing. Hopefully Jimmy will get them rested up and raring to go again against Halifax this Saturday.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  8 October 2007 at 12:19  

I've heard from few people who have subscribed to SMS alerts that alerts can be quite costly and sometimes messages are delivered with several minutes of delay.
What is your view on this?
Thanks.

Matthew Gooding 8 October 2007 at 13:25  

Hmm, well they cost 25p each, so I guess it cost me £1 to get all the goal updates last week. Not a huge figure and most of it is going to the club anyway.

As for the timing, well I can only speak from my own experience, and that is that they all arrived pretty much instantaneously. I imagine this isn't *always* the case, but the impression I got was that the service is reasonably priced and reliable.

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP